– Supreme Court of Texas upheld the demurer.
– Upheld lower court decision in favor of Ledbetter.
– Ledbetter was offered a reward for an escaped convict (if captured).
– Broadnax captured the convict knowing of the reward.
– Broadnax took Ledbetter to court saying he owed him the $500 .
– Ledbetter stated that, Broadnax didn’t know of the offer at the time of the arrest.
– Supreme Court upheld the demurer.
– Does there need to be a performance based on the offer in order for the offer to be valid?
– Offer and acceptance.
– May be accepted by anyone who performs the service called for when the acceptor “knows” that it has been made and acts in performance of it, but not otherwise.
– An offer needs to be accepted by someone who knows that offer is there.
– Can’t let anyone in on an offer, that doesn’t know of its offer, and if it’s just happenstance that a person followed thru on an offer, un-knowingly.
– Supreme Court affirmed the appeals court decision in favor of Ledbetter.